The art of paper layering | VIDEO | Natalie Elphinstone

I come from a scrapbooking background, and have patterned paper stashed up for days (actually, to be honest, it will be years!) and rather than just sit back and admire them all I have this ongoing desire to try and actually use them! Shock!!


I feel like sometimes in the cardmaking arena we focus on lots of stamping and colouring and fancy ink techniques ... all of which I love.... but it doesn't whittle away my giant pile of paper!! So you may have noticed that I've been trying lots of ideas lately to achieve the best of both worlds - incorporate lots of patterned paper, but still highlight the cute stamped images.


Not satisfied to simply use a single piece of patterned paper as my background (that wouldn't use up nearly enough of my stash!) I am perfecting the art of paper layering. It's a technique I use with abandon when I'm making my tags, but one I rarely turn to when making cards. But no reason why I can't try a similar thing here, and so I followed my own made-up rules to success and I think it's turned out quite lovely.


In my video today I share the process of how this card was made, and I let you in on all my keys to success when it comes to choosing which papers to use and how to layer them. I hope you enjoy it!

            

Supplies Used:
Neat and Tangled Later Alligator Stamp Set
Neat and Tangled Later Alligator Die Set
Neat and Tangled Ride With Me Stamp Set
Neat and Tangled Classic Tag 2 Die Set

10 comments

  1. I loved the layering of different patterned papers and stitching too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the depth and texture the layers and stitching add. But without huge amounts of bulk ;-)

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU FOR THIS! I come from the same background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a revelation when I decided I could just use all my same scrapbooking 'techniques' with cards as well!! Why not?!

      Delete
  3. Adorable gator with his fun balloon, you really are 're the use of layers & pattern & your card looks such fun but when I try it kind of looks like a child's first cut & stick picture at nursery no matter what I try.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the key when you're starting out is to stick to only two or three different colours. And try patterns that are 'tightly knit' and all in the same colour (rather than multi-coloured looser patterns like big florals or bold stripes) And as always.... practice makes perfect! But be happy with what you are making, don't make it to please other people ;-)

      Delete

Back to Top