Mixed Media Cards in Bulk | VIDEO | Natalie Elphinstone

Every year at about this time I vow to myself that I'm not going to leave my Christmas crafting until the last minute and that I'll get organised early. I often make these starts with really good intentions... what eventuates is another story!

Certainly what I do know is that if I want to get ahead I need to be making 'batches' of cards rather than single detailed projects. Bonus points if it's quick and easy, messy and fun, and looks unique when it's done!


So this week I started playing around with some mixed-media techniques with the Neat and Tangled Radiating Star stencil. This detailed stencil makes a great background that steals the show without needing to add much else to finish it off.


Mixed media techniques really lend themselves well to experimentation and I dove headfirst into this project without clear goals in mind. I simply wanted to try a few things out and see what the results might be. I discovered that using different mediums create vastly different results, for example the pastel version here uses Gesso as a base, whilst the darker coloured ones use Texture Paste.


My video takes you through the whole process of creating these cards, and it's really a 'warts and all' view. I wanted to keep this as 'real life' as possible and I've kept in all the experiments-gone-wrong, all the mistakes and all the victories as well. I hope it inspires you and maybe encourages you to try something new today!

              

Supplies: 
Radiating Star Stencil
Nativity Play Stamp Set
Angel Wings Stamp Set
Classic Tag 2 Die Set
Jewel Tones Sequin Mix

Happy creating!
xx
Natalie

7 comments

  1. I love these mixed media cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for your encouragement. It means a lot!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you as always for your kind words!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your tips and the technique video to create these lovely card. I've never dabbled in mixed media but I love the results you achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to try new things. Don't be afraid to give it a go!

      Delete

Back to Top