Masking Stencils


Welcome everyone! Mindy here today and I'm sharing a card I created by masking off my stencil. The Hexastar stencil has such amazing designs on it and instead of ink blending the entire background, I masked off certain areas to create my own design.

I found an area on my stencil where the design formed a full shape as shown below. I then centered it on a panel of Neenah Solar white card stock and held it in place with masking tape. Next, I started masking off areas around the designs. This helps protect the area so I'm only getting ink where I want it. Some areas I masked off with post it tape and some areas I just used scratch paper.


To create my rainbow pattern I am using Festive Berries, Carved Pumpkin, Mustard Seed, Twisted Citron, Peacock Feathers, and Wilted Violet Distress Inks. I apply each of these colors using a finger dauber which is great for small areas.


Once I have my pattern done, I can remove my masks and stencil. I kept this a simple one layer card by just adding a sentiment to the center using the Foliage Frame stamp set.

Masking off areas of your stencil to create your own design is a great way to get more out of your stencils.


1 comment

Back to Top