A Fabulous Shaker Card With Koren Wiskman



Hello everyone, Koren here with a really fun shaker card, using Neat & Tangled’s  Flamingo Floatie stamp set and coordinating dies. I also used the Party Dots stamp set and Making Waves die set to create a fun background for our shaker card. Some of these products are retiring and are on sale now in the Neat & Tangled online store while supplies last. 

I started with my background. I took two pieces of Neenah 110 lb Solar White Cardstock and cut them down to 3 1/2 by 4 3/4 inches.  I used the circle die from the Making Waves die set and cut out a circle in the top portion of the card panel. I then lined it up over top of the second piece using my stamp positioner.  This allows me to arrange my circle background stamp right over the space provided by the first circle that I had cut out. After all, I am making a shaker card and this will be my window . 

Once the circle from the Party Dots stamp set is arranged to be stamped in the background, I used sponge daubers and Distress Oxides to ink up the stamp with an ombre effect. I used inks in Evergreen Bough, Cracked Pistachio, and Tumbled Glass. I wanted it to remind people of a pool or an ocean. I think these colors did the trick. I inked up the stamp twice, repeating the pattern and trying to get good coverage with the ink while still allowing it to appear blended. 



I knew that the aperture I created on the front panel was going to be slightly larger than the circle I just stamped in the background, but I wanted it to  have a white sparkly ring around it as you look through. This helps the white circles of the stamp stand out. Plus the sequins make it look like they fell right out of the background. 

Once the background was stamped I used my three favorite shimmer sprays to make the background very shiny. It is hard to tell in the photos, but the background behind the shaker window is very sparkly. 

On the front panel, I stamped the “fabulous” sentiment also from the Flamingo Floatie stamp set with Nuvo Clear Mark embossing ink and heat embossed it with Nuvo Turquoise Lagoon embossing powder. 



I added a piece of acetate to the front window panel using liquid adhesive. To pop that front panel up onto the background, and also make a well for the sequins to live in, I used thin strips of foam adhesive. First around the window itself and then everywhere else that you can’t see to lift up the entire panel. 

Once the shaker well is created you can add the sequins or whatever you are using as your shaker bits. Then I lined up the panel that we stamped and sprayed onto the back of the shaker window panel. Now we have a shaker background. This was added to a Simon Says Stamp Fog card base cut to size A2 in a portrait orientation. 

I stamped my image of the little girl on the flamingo from the Neat & Tangled Flamingo Floatie stamp set with Versafine Clair Nocturne Ink and heat embossed it with Hero Arts Clear embossing powder. I do this technique when I want to watercolor my images. It creates a well around the image that helps me from going outside of the lines.  I used my Derwent Inktense Pencils to color this image. Along with my pencils I used a blender pen to draw out the pigment. I also used my Goldfaber Colored Pencil #273 to add some shadow. 

* Skin- Tan 1720
* Swimsuit- Neutral Gray 1220
* Flamingo- Fuchsia 0700
* Beak- Ink Black 
* Hair- Bark 2000 



I cut the accessory images from the Flamingo Floatie Dies from Tonic Studios Glitter Card in Turquoise Lake.  I wanted these elements to also remind you of water and it’s glittery nature adds to the sparkly feeling of the card. I popped up the portion underneath the image first with Scotch 3M foam tape and then used double foam tape to pop up the image.  The splashes of water that are cut from the same glitter cardstock are adhered using Nuvo Deluxe Liquid Adhesive flat to the acetate window. 

As for the sentiment, I stamped the “trust me you are” onto Tonic Studios Satin Card in Smooth Mint with Nuvo Clear Mark embossing ink and heat embossed it with Ranger White embossing powder.  I cut it down into a strip using my Tonic V-Blade trimmer and attached it using a single layer of foam tape. 

I think this card is super fun and I know lots of fabulous friends to give this card to. I hope I inspired you to create something today. 

Koren 


3 comments

Back to Top