Bad moods, babies, and bladder control

So today I was just in a funk. I feel bad because I'm pretty sure the Hubs caught the brunt of it when he got home from work.  I was totally aware that I was in a nasty mood, but couldn't do a darn thing about it. That frustrated me even more. So, to help get the situation under control I gave myself a time-out and went to the gym. It was just what I needed. I even did some abs, which I NEVER do despite my constant nagging and complaining about how before the baby "I had a toned stomach and never did a sit up in my life", and now, well, let's just say it's about as firm as Jello. Sigh.

One of the many things I learned on my own after having the baby, was that I no longer had total bladder control.  I clearly remember standing in the bathroom about a week after he was born, staring at the bags under my eyes, and all of a sudden I felt warmth running down my legs. At first I panicked, jumping to the worst possible scenario that I was hemorrhaging and about to die. But no, I just peed myself. As if I hadn't been cleaning up enough bodily fluids from the baby I now had to clean up after myself. Needless to say I made sure that didn't happen again. That is, until about 8 weeks later when I went for my first run and made it about 20 feet.  This pattern of trying to run and my bladder not cooperating continued for a good 5 months or so. Over time it did get better and hasn't been a problem since.

That was until tonight. I'm on the treadmill finishing up for the night. 4 minutes into my run. Something feels off, I know this feeling...not 5 seconds later I have a wet crotch. Really? In public, at the gym. All through my previous power struggle with my bladder my biggest fear was that I would have 'an accident' public, and it never did (until today). Thankfully, there were only 2 other people there at the time. A 100 year old man running like his life depended on it at the other end of the row of treadmills, and the trainer who runs 10 miles a day and only eats raw food hanging out in the office (she is another story for another day). I managed to escape, that could have been so much worse if I had gone when it was crowded.

As I sulked back to my car, wet pants and all, it reminded me of when the babe was so little, so new. I feel like so much has happened, and yet it's just a drop in the bucket. It's so cliche, but where did the time go? (And why is my bladder still leaky?)
(Photo by me, and my less than amazing phone camera)

So, as it turns out, all I have to do is pee myself to get out of a bad mood. Good to know.



No comments

Back to Top