Gardenia Bloom Thank Yous


Hey everyone!  It's Miriam here today with a little tutorial for you.  I needed a quick set of Thank You notes this week.  This is Carina's last week at preschool!  It's hard to believe, she's spent almost five years there, and Ellie was there for two years as well.  

These cards are for the girls special teachers that we're leaving behind.  They feature the Gardenia Blooms Journaling Card Die and a sentiment from Paper Cut Flowers.


I thought I would provide a little tutorial for you:

I had an old Gardenia Blooms die cut that I used as a guide.  


Then I used Derwent Inktense pencils to lightly trace along the inside edge of the blooms and leaves. I didn't trace all around the openings just toward the center of the flowers.  


This is what it looks like when you remove the guide.


I normally don't watercolor directly on my cardstock because it will warp, but this requires very little water.  This is also why I'm using a real paintbrush as opposed to a waterbrush, it's easier to control the amount of water in a paintbrush as opposed to a waterbrush.  


I use the guide to make sure I'm on the right track and then (totally optional) I add a bit more pencil for additional color/dimension.


After those additional details are softened with water, you can put the die cut you will actually use over top and see what the card will look like.



To adhere the die cut I like to use liquid adhesive as I think it works best on those delicate details.  I swipe the adhesive on the solid portions of the die cut and just tap it over the intricate areas.



I created both Grout Gray and Primitive White cardstock versions of the card, I think it would look great in any neutral.  It looks complicated but the coloring portion is actually very quick and these were easily mass producible.  They are also perfect for mailing since they are so flat.



Thanks so much for stopping by today!

12 comments

  1. Love the soft look! Looks just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miriam, these are beautiful...love that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo pretty, Miriam! Love the settle watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam, this is so n eat & pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More of your cards for my favorites list, Miriam! Love how you colored this, but not at all sure mine would end up like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite, Miriam ... just absolutely outstanding! Thank you so much for the tutorial, though I don't think I could manage it, I would certainly like to give it a try. That die is definitely on my wish list now!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS!!!
    FABULOUS tutorial - THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Miriam, just want to let you know how much I like your card and thank you for taking the time to post your tutorial. What great ideas you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful card. Soft colors and then with the die cut over it, it is stunning. Nice way to make your own stencil. Thank you for sharing this technique and card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done - this is so lovely and what an intriguing idea for a technique!! Love Miriam - she makes AMAZING things!! So very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is so stunning! I am a SU! girl at heart and only own a few N&T sets... This is certainly a card I'd love to case! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top