Crafting Is My Jam with Koren Wiskman



Hello everyone, Koren here with another card featuring an older Neat & Tangled Stamp set. This one uses the Crafting is My Jam stamp set currently on sale in the Neat & Tangled online store, and features an array of crafting items such as scissors, a paint brush, and even a paint swatch.  I used this set to make a card that represents me . I’m sure many of my crafty friends around the world would appreciate a card such as this. 

I started out using a piece of Neenah 110 lb Solar White Classic Crest Cardstock. I cut it down to 3 1/2 by 4 3/4. I loaded it into my original MISTI stamping tool and pulled out the sentiment that reads “crafting is my jam”. I arranged this stamp in my MISTI so that it would stamp in the upper center portion of the card panel. I also used the dotted line image across the front to begin creating the scissored area. I used Versafine Claire Nocturne Ink to stamp both elements. Once they were stamped in place, I left them to dry for just a few additional minutes. This ink is a little slower drying than dye inks because of its pigment ink properties. 




While that panel dried, I stamped the images of the scissors, the spool of thread, as well as the paint brush on another sheet of paper. This time I used Ranger Watercolor paper. I stamped them using Simon Says Stamp Fog ink. I used the light gray ink so that I could paint over the lines. 

To color these images I wanted to practice with my American Crafts Gouache Paper Fashion Paint Set 1. To do this I added small drops of each color onto my glass palette, and added a bit of water to each color to loosen it up into a creamier texture. I added the paint  using a small round brush from the Nuvo brush set.  I'm still learning how to use these paints, but i'm excited about the chalk like texture it gives my images.



After I was done coloring each image, I used my Fiskars spring action scissors to cut them out. I tried to cut as close to the lines as possible leaving as little border as possible.  Each one of these images will be added to the front panel. 

Once the front panel was completely dry, I used my scissor to cut a line up to the dotted line in the side of the front card panel. I used my fingers to fold back both fold in the paper and adhered them in place using dots of Nuvo Deluxe liquid adhesive. I then cut a piece of patterned paper to stick behind the opening as to reveal the pattern behind it.  I just lined up the paper to the edge of the panel and used the same liquid adhesive to attached it to the panel in the areas unexposed. Now it appears as though the scissors are cutting through the paper and revealing a different pattern behind it.  I used Simple Stores Crafty Girl 6 x 8 patterned paper for this. 

I popped up the entire front panel onto a Simon Says Stamp Fog Card Base  using tear tape adhesive and gray craft from. Once the panel was attached to its base I then started to add the images. I used liquid adhesive to tuck the scissor into the area that is folded back. Then I used Tonic Studios foam adhesive to attach both the paint brush and the spool of thread. 




To make the assembly a little nicer, I stamped the same image of the thread onto the panel directly and painted the thread. This way I didn’t have to fussy cut a thin image such as this thread. I just focused on cutting out the main portion of the image and allowed the stamped image to not only show depth but it allowed me to cheat on cutting out the really thin parts of the image. I wish I had colored the entire image behind it because you can see it  underneath in some of the photos. Next time I use this technique I’ll be sure to color both images completely. 

I did add a little bit of Nuvo Crystal Glaze to the sentiment and to the tip of the paint brush. I just wanted to make it look like the paint brush was painting on the sentiment. Even though the Crystal glaze was a little too runny to stay where I had put it, it still makes it look like the brush did the job and that’s all I wanted. I don’t need it to look perfect. 

I hope you enjoyed my project for today. I love how this card turned out and I can’t wait to send it to one of my crafty friends. 

Koren 

3 comments

Back to Top