We're excited to be introducing Julia Altermann as our guest designer this month. Julia is so talented! She is an amazing colorer whether you are talking Copics, paint, ink, pencils, she can do it all with fantastic results. She loves to experiment and work with different mediums and she has a wonderfully graphic, CAS, whimsical style. In addition, she has a very active YouTube channel where she documents her process. She's treating us to videos all month long! Here's Julia with this week's card:
Hello crafters! This is Julia from Just One More Card and I have the honor of guest designing for Neat & Tangled this month! I want to start off with a fun technique that you can do even if you don’t have all the supplies I am using.
I am using the Journaling Alpha dies to cut letters to spell out the word AWESOME and I am stacking the same letters on top of each other a few times, just so they will get dimension and look prettier on the card. You can use Tombow Mono glue to stack them, or add double sided adhesive to the back of your sturdy paper before die-cutting it.
To create the effect as if the letters had been dipped into gold, I used Flitter Glue and a foam applicator to add glue to parts of the letters. To create a more natural look, I’m making sure that I don’t have a crisp line but it’s rather messy before I apply my Gilding Flakes. With my scrubby tool, I can take off the excess and that leaves me with the polished letters which I can adhere to my card base.
To complete my statement on the card, I stamped one word from the Celebrate stamp set with Versafine ink and my MISTI just above the die-cut letters.
But what if you don’t have Gilding Flakes? No reason to panic, here are a few alternative methods you can achieve this look:
- Use your Versamark ink pad to apply sticky ink to your letters, then pour gold (or any metallic) embossing powder on top and heat emboss.
- Use watercolor card stock and any kind of the new fancy metallic watercolor sets to create the dipped look.
- Print a ragged-edged area of black laser ink on paper, die cut your letters so they cut only partially into the black area, and then use foil to apply the gold look.
Thank you for stopping by today! I hope you got inspired! I’ll be back with more fun projects this month and I’d love to hear from you here in the comments or on my YouTube channel to hear if you liked the project. Cheers!
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• Journaling Alphas - Nice and Neat Dies
• 3mm Sparkling Clear Pretty Pink Posh
• SSS WHITE CARDSTOCK 120lbs 12 Pack
• IndigoBlu FlitterGlu
• Indigoblu Phat Foam
• Indigoblu Scoochy Foam
• Cosmic Shimmer Warm Sunrise Gilding Flakes
• VersaFine ONYX BLACK
• Stick It
• Scor-Tape 1/8
• 3M Scotch Double-Sided Foam Tape
• Sizzix BIG SHOT MACHINE
• Sizzix Magnetic Platform for Big Shot
• Tonic Studios 8-1/2" Guillotine Paper Trimmer
• Tombow MONO MULTI Liquid Glue
• Glossy Accents
• Ranger FINE TIP APPLICATOR for large Glossy
• HA Scrubber Pad
• HA Ultra Clean Spray, 2oz.