Subtle Images with Big Sparkle from Koren Wiskman


Hello everyone, Koren here today with a card project using the NEW Grateful Heart Stamp set. I wanted a subtle image that almost stays in the background to really allow some sparkle up front and I think I did that for this cute “thank you” card.

I also used the NEW Sophisticated Enamel Dots to spruce up the shine factor a bit more.

I started with my biggest focus on this card and that was the subtle background image. I originally wanted to paint this image with gouache but after several attempts I abandoned that medium and decided to go with some Faber Castel Polychromos Colored pencils instead. I just need more practice with painting before I tackle this image again with the gouache.

The colored pencils did the job for me though. I used hot pinks and greens on the images. I have created a Color Map for you to see the exact pencils I used but really I just picked shades that were similar and it worked out just fine. I tested each color on a spare piece of blue cardstock in order to make sure they would look ok.


I stamped the image using Versafine Clair Nocturne Ink, and I like how the images are subtle but still defined by the black lines.  This would also look great as a no line coloring.

Once the image was colored I took it to my Original MISTI and loaded it in along with the “thank you” sentiment from the same Neat & Tangled Grateful Heart Stamp Set. I stamped it with Nuvo Clear Mark Embossing Ink and used Nuvo Glitter Embossing Powder in Gold Enchantment to heat emboss it in the top center of my card panel. This embossing powder is so shiny. It has huge flecks of gold glitter in it that really makes it shine in person. I also love the texture that it gives the embossing powder. It looks great.

I loved that embossing powder so much that I decided to add more. I used a Ranger Embossing Pen to add sticky ink to the pistles inside my flower. I then used the same shiny gold embossing powder to enhance the image with a little heat embossing.



To add even more gold, I used a little bit of the Gansai Tambi Starry Nights watercolors set to flick gold splatter onto the panel. My splat box helps me contain a mess like this.

Once it was completely dry, I used the NEW Sophisticated Enamel Dots to bring out even more gold.  I guess to me when I look at the card, I see the pollen from the flower floating up to spell the sentiment. Maybe, I’m crazy, and thats ok too.

I added my panel to a Simon Says Stamp Fog card base cut to size A2 and scored in a top folding portrait orientation.  The panel is popped up using gray craft foam and Tonic Tear Tape Adhesive.

I hope I have inspired you to maybe try to combine subtle with a little pizazz. Sometimes the right combination of the two makes for a great time.

Koren




4 comments

Back to Top